Doctor Stephen Strange is a Marvel Comics character who was created by writer Stan Lee and artist Steve Ditko. He first appeared in Strange Tales #110 in July 1963.
Stephen Strange was a brilliant and arrogant neurosurgeon who suffered a career-ending injury in a car accident. Desperate to regain the use of his hands, he embarked on a journey that led him to the Ancient One, a mystical sorcerer who taught him the ways of magic and the mystic arts.
As the Sorcerer Supreme of Earth, Doctor Strange uses his mastery of magic and his extensive knowledge of the supernatural to protect the world from mystical threats. He is a member of the Avengers and has been involved in many of the major events in the Marvel Universe, including the Infinity Gauntlet storyline.
Doctor Strange is known for his iconic costume, which includes a red cape and the Eye of Agamotto, a powerful amulet that can manipulate time and reality. He is one of the most powerful and skilled sorcerers in the Marvel Universe and is often called upon to help other heroes in their battles against supernatural foes.
Doctor Stephen Strange is a complex character with a multi-faceted personality. At the start of his career as a neurosurgeon, he was portrayed as arrogant, selfish, and highly ambitious. He cared only about his own success and was not afraid to step on others to achieve it.
However, after his injury and subsequent journey to becoming the Sorcerer Supreme, he underwent a significant character development. He became more selfless and humble, with a deep sense of responsibility to protect the world from mystical threats.
Doctor Strange is highly intelligent and analytical, with a remarkable ability to think on his feet and come up with creative solutions to complex problems. He is also highly disciplined and dedicated to his craft, spending countless hours studying and mastering the mystic arts.
Despite his serious demeanor and intense focus, Doctor Strange has a dry sense of humor and is known to make sarcastic quips. He is also deeply empathetic and cares deeply for his friends and allies.
Overall, Doctor Strange is a complex and fascinating character with a unique blend of intelligence, discipline, selflessness, and humor.
Attributes & Abilities
|Marvel Universe (Earth-616)
|Master of the Mystic Arts
Master of Black Magic
|MD and extensive sorcery training
|Place of Origin
|No dual identity
Eugene Strange (father, deceased)
Beverly Strange (mother, deceased)
Victor Strange (Khiron) (brother, apparently deceased)
Donna Strange (sister, deceased)
Clea (wife, estranged)
|Cloak of Levitation
Eye of Agamotto
Mastery of magic
Gifted physician and surgeon
Skilled martial artist
Doctor Stephen Strange is one of the most powerful and skilled sorcerers in the Marvel Universe. He possesses a wide range of magical abilities that make him a formidable force against supernatural threats.
Some of his key attributes and abilities include:
- Mastery of the mystic arts: Doctor Strange is a master of the mystical arts, having been trained by the Ancient One himself. He possesses a vast knowledge of spells, incantations, and magical artifacts, and is able to use his powers to manipulate reality, time, and space.
- Expertise in combat: Doctor Strange is an expert in hand-to-hand combat, as well as armed combat with weapons such as his magical staff, the Wand of Watoomb.
- Healing powers: As a former neurosurgeon, Doctor Strange is able to use his mystical powers to heal himself and others of injuries and illnesses.
- Astral projection: Doctor Strange can separate his astral form from his physical body, allowing him to travel through the astral plane and communicate with other astral entities.
- Teleportation: Doctor Strange can teleport himself and others across vast distances, making him a valuable asset in battles and missions.
- Precognition: Doctor Strange is able to see glimpses of the future and can use this ability to anticipate and prepare for upcoming events.
- Magic sensing: Doctor Strange has the ability to detect and identify magic in his vicinity, making him a valuable ally in identifying magical artifacts and detecting supernatural threats.
Overall, Doctor Strange is an incredibly powerful and versatile character with a wide range of abilities that make him a formidable ally and a dangerous opponent.
Doctor Stephen Strange was created by writer Stan Lee and artist Steve Ditko and first appeared in Strange Tales #110 in July 1963, published by Marvel Comics. He quickly became a popular character and was given his own comic book series, Doctor Strange, in 1968. The series lasted until 1996 and was later revived in 2015.
Doctor Strange has also appeared in numerous other Marvel comic book series, including The Avengers, Defenders, and New Avengers. He has been involved in many of the major events in the Marvel Universe, including the Infinity Gauntlet storyline and the Civil War event.
In addition to comic books, Doctor Strange has appeared in various other media, including television shows, movies, and video games. He was portrayed by Benedict Cumberbatch in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, first appearing in the 2016 movie Doctor Strange.
Overall, Doctor Strange has been a prominent character in the Marvel Universe for several decades and continues to be a popular and iconic character among fans.
Dr. Stephen Strange was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. His parents were Eugene and Beverly Strange, and he had one younger sister named Donna. Stephen was a gifted child and excelled in academics and sports. He grew up to become a brilliant neurosurgeon, with a successful career and a reputation for being arrogant and selfish.
One night, while driving to a medical conference, Stephen was involved in a car accident that severely damaged the nerves in his hands. Despite numerous attempts at surgery, Stephen was unable to regain the use of his hands, and his career was effectively over.
Desperate for a cure, Stephen spent all of his money and traveled the world seeking out alternative treatments. Eventually, he heard of a mystical healer known as the Ancient One who lived in the Himalayas. Despite his initial skepticism, Stephen traveled to Nepal and sought out the Ancient One.
The Ancient One revealed to Stephen that he was actually a sorcerer and had been using his powers to protect the world from mystical threats. He agreed to teach Stephen the ways of magic and the mystic arts, and Stephen became his apprentice.
Over time, Stephen became a powerful sorcerer in his own right and eventually surpassed the Ancient One in skill. He also adopted the title of Sorcerer Supreme and took up residence in the Sanctum Sanctorum in Greenwich Village, New York City.
As the Sorcerer Supreme, Stephen has been involved in many battles against supernatural threats, including Dormammu, Baron Mordo, and Shuma-Gorath. He has also worked alongside various superhero teams, including the Avengers and the Defenders.
Stephen has also faced personal challenges, including the loss of his lover Clea, battles with alcoholism, and conflicts with his rival Baron Mordo. However, he has always managed to overcome these obstacles and remain a steadfast defender of the world against mystical threats.
Overall, Stephen Strange is a complex and fascinating character with a rich history and a unique blend of intelligence, discipline, and magical abilities.
Doctor Stephen Strange has been well-received by audiences and critics alike since his first appearance in Strange Tales #110 in 1963. His unique blend of intelligence, arrogance, and magical abilities has made him a popular and compelling character in the Marvel Universe.
In the comics, Doctor Strange has been involved in many iconic storylines and has faced off against some of the most powerful villains in the Marvel Universe. He has been praised for his complex personality, his mastery of the mystic arts, and his contributions to the wider Marvel Universe.
Outside of the comics, Doctor Strange has also been well-received in other media. The character was first portrayed in live-action by Peter Hooten in the 1978 television film Dr. Strange. Benedict Cumberbatch portrays the character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe films Doctor Strange (2016), Thor: Ragnarok (2017), Avengers: Infinity War (2018), Avengers: Endgame (2019), and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022).
Benedict Cumberbatch’s portrayal of Doctor Strange in the Marvel Cinematic Universe has been praised for its humor, wit, and emotional depth. The 2016 film Doctor Strange was also praised for its stunning visual effects and its exploration of Eastern philosophy and spirituality.
In video games, Doctor Strange has been a popular playable character in various Marvel-themed games, including Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and Marvel vs. Capcom 3.
The character has also received numerouse accolades over the years:
- In 2008, Wizard ranked Doctor Strange 83rd in their “200 Greatest Comic Book Characters of All Time” list.
- In 2012, IGN ranked Doctor Strange 33rd in their “Top 50 Avengers” list.
- In 2017, IGN ranked Doctor Strange 38th “Top 100 Comic Book Heroes” list.
- In 2018, Vanity Fair included Doctor Strange in their “Stan Lee’s Most Iconic Characters” list.
- In 2018, GameSpot ranked Doctor Strange 27th in their “50 Most Important Superheroes” list.
- In 2021, Collider ranked Doctor Strange 14th in their “20 Most Powerful Marvel Characters” list.
- In 2022, The A.V. Club ranked Doctor Strange 47th in their “100 best Marvel characters” list.
- In 2022, Collider ranked Doctor Strange 1st in their “Most Powerful Original Marvel Illuminati Members” list.
- In 2022, Screen Rant included Doctor Strange in their “10 Most Powerful Comic Book Wizards” list and in their “10 Smartest Magic Users In Comic Books” list.
- In 2022, CBR.com ranked Doctor Strange 1st in their “10 Best Sorcerer Supremes” list and 5th in their “10 Scariest Avengers” list.
Overall, Doctor Strange’s unique blend of intelligence, arrogance, and magical abilities has made him a beloved and iconic character in the Marvel Universe, and he continues to be a popular and relevant character to this day.
Before delving into the trivia surrounding Doctor Stephen Strange, it is important to note that the character has a rich history and is beloved by fans of the Marvel Universe. From his origins as a brilliant but arrogant surgeon to his transformation into a powerful sorcerer and protector of the world, Doctor Strange has had many fascinating adventures and has become one of the most iconic characters in the Marvel Universe. With that in mind, let us now explore some fun and interesting trivia about the Sorcerer Supreme.
- Dr. Stephen Vincent Strange, M.D., also known as Doctor Strange, is a fictional superhero appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. Created by artist and character conceptualist Steve Ditko, the character first appeared in Strange Tales#110 (cover-dated July 1963).
- Steve Ditko has admitted that his character was based on “Chandu The Magician.” Chandu The Magician was a radio program that aired in 1930’s. Chandu the Magician’s name is “Frank Chandler” and he learned magic from the yogis in India. His stories were popular on radio and hence we got our Doctor Strange.
- Doctor Strange was a brilliant but egotistical surgeon. After a car accident destroys his hands and hinders his ability to perform surgery, he searches the globe for a way to repair them and encounters the Ancient One.
- After becoming one of the old Sorcerer Supreme’s students, he becomes a practitioner of both the mystical arts as well as martial arts.
- Along with knowing many powerful spells, he has a costume with two mystical objects—the Cloak of Levitation and Eye of Agamotto—which give him added powers.
- Strange is aided along the way by his friend and valet, Wong, and a large assortment of mystical objects. He takes up residence in a mansion called the Sanctum Sanctorum, located in New York City.
- Stephen Strange’s blood type is B Positive.
- Doctor Strange was the first one able to discover that the Black Suit Spider-Man had gotten after the Secret Wars, was alive and controlling Spider-Man. However, he didn’t reveal this to anyone, since he promised the symbiote that he would keep its secret.
- Like Alfred, who sometimes helps Batman by giving him advice, Wong also helps Doctor Strange by giving him Martial Arts lessons.
- In 2012, Doctor Strange was ranked 83rd in Wizard’s “200 Greatest Comic Book Characters of All Time” list, and 33rd in IGN’s list of “The Top 50 Avengers”.
- The character was first portrayed in live action by Peter Hooten in the 1978 television movie Dr. Strange.
- In the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Benedict Cumberbatch has played the role of Doctor Strange since November 2016.
- As with many of Marvel Comics’ characters, Doctor Strange calls New York City his home, and has an actual, real-world address. His “Sanctum Sanctorum” (his fancy name for his home) is located at 177A Bleecker Street in Manhattan’s Greenwich Village neighborhood.
- While not the most recognized or popular Marvel comic book character, Doctor Strange has nevertheless garnered a loyal following among his devoted fan base. So much so that the comic book that features his first appearance – Marvel Strange Tales #110 from July 1963 – has sold for $61,000 at auction.
- From 1986 to 2005, people within Hollywood, such as Bob Gale, Wes Craven, David S. Goyer, and even Stan Lee himself with co-writer Alex Cox, have all tried to make a film adaptation of “Doctor Strange” but failed.
- When Cumberbatch was first approached for the film, he originally turned it down due to scheduling complications. However, when the release date for the film was pushed back from July 2016 to November 2016, Cumberbatch was able to sign on to the project.
- In the comics, Dr. Strange was trained at an Eastern monastery. So to prepare for the role, Cumberbatch volunteered to teach English at a Buddhist monastery in Darjeeling, India for a year.
- Many different actors were rumored or considered for the live-action movie role, such as Joaquin Phoenix, Colin Farrell, Jake Gyllenhaal, Tom Hardy, Ethan Hawke Jack Huston, Oscar Isaac, Jared Leto, Matthew McConaughey, Ewan McGregor, Keanu Reeves, Justin Theroux, Jon Hamm, Johnny Depp, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, just to name a few.
- Dr. Strange co-founded the Defenders. The Defenders are a group of ‘outsiders’ and were effectively Marvel’s first ‘Non-Team’ of heroes who only assemble as needed.
- The Defenders were the original team to handle mystic and supernatural threats before those became a mainstay for the Avengers to handle as well. The founding team (which would go on to rotate extensively) consisted of Doctor Strange, Silver Surfer, Hulk, and Namor.
- His greatest enemies are Baron Mordo and Dormammu.
- Baron Mordo is another apprentice of Strange’s mentor the Ancient One, but Mordo grew jealous and went evil, engineering his mentor’s death. Mordo and Strange have been mortal enemies ever since.
- Dormammu, meanwhile, is the leader of the Dark Dimension who challenged Strange when he took up the mantle of the Sorcerer Supreme. The Ancient One and Dormammu were lifelong enemies and Strange inherited the conflict.
- Doctor Strange is a member of underground group “The Illuminati” which is founded by Tony Stark.
- From 1972 to 2016, the Time Gem was originally orange. From 2017 and onward it has changed to green.
- The Time Gem allows the user to see into the past and the future; stop, slow down, speed up or reverse the flow of time; travel through time; change the past and the future; age and de-age beings, and trap people or entire universes in unending loops of time.
- At full potential, when backed by the Power Gem, the Time Gem grants the user omniscience and total control over the past, present, and future.